Deepdene School opened in 1948 in the same premises that the school occupies today, on New Church Road in Hove. The Headmistresses and founder, Mrs Joyce Shaw, had grown up in the house spending her childhood there, and then later turned the premises into a school for girls, aged three to eighteen years of age, and boys up to the age of seven. The last seven decades have seen many changes; Mrs Shaw remained Headmistress until her retirement in the late 1980s.
For many years, Deepdene was a girls’ school, with boys only in the nursery. Through the nineties, the School became co-educational, taking boys and girls between the ages of twelve months and seven years.
Deepdene pupils wore a striking blue blazer initially, but, in more recent years, this has been replaced by the Deepdene stripe which gives pupils a distinctive identity in the City. Following greater success and rising numbers, the School started to take children to year six and became established as a co-educational Prep School in 2007.
A decade later, Deepdene would join the Roedean Group of Schools, ushering in another exciting chapter in the School’s history. The development of the partnership between Deepdene and Roedean has allowed a wealth of opportunities for our students, a meaningful staff partnership, and the utilising of resources at Roedean such as for sport, swimming, the arts and sciences, and for regular trips to Roedean farm.
We pride ourselves in offering an affordable, quality, independent education, where pupils are challenged to reach their full potential in small classes and a nurturing environment. After over 70 years, the ethos and values of the School remain true to those of its founder; knowing your child is at the heart of all we do.